Baba Harbhajan Singh has been on duty both before and after death in Nathula border. Baba Harbhajan Singh who died in 1968 on duty in Sikkim still does his duty on Nathula Border between India and China in East Sikkim. Both Indian and Chinese Army worship him. During the flag meetings between the two nations at Nathula, the Chinese set a chair aside for the saint.
Captain Baba Harbhajan Singh was born today in the year 1941 in Panjab. He died at the age of 7 at Nathula in Eastern Sikkim. But as per legends, he still does his duty in Nathula Border.
Some striking facts about Saint Captain as told by the Army officials I met at Nathu-La and Baba Mandir :
1. Baba warns the soldiers of any impending attacks atleast 3 days in advance. He is still guarding the international boundaries of the two countries.
2. During the customary flag meetings between the India and China, the Chinese army still sets a chair aside for Baba.
3. Baba Mandir today has three rooms, Baba’s office, store room and living room. In the living room every item of his need has been neatly kept. His bed, shoes, slippers, water bottle, ironed uniform, an umbrella – everything.
4. His room is cleaned every morning.
5. On some mornings, soldiers have found crumpled bedsheet and his muddy shoes in the room.
6. On a lot of occasions, soldiers have discovered that Baba still visits the camps and his post.
7. He still draws a Major’s salary every month.
8. He still gets 2 months of leave every year.
9. Every year on 11 September, his belongings are sent to his hometown. The train departs from New Jalpaiguri station, Siliguri, West Bengal.
10. A berth is reserved in his name and is left empty for the entire journey.
11. A team of soldiers accompanies him till his hometown.
12. The Army is on high alert when Baba is on leave.
Some soldiers never die .